CV/Multimedia Storyteller: Photography, Video & Narratives
University of South Florida
College of Arts and Sciences, Communication Doctoral Program (in progress)
Anticipated graduation date: Spring 2024
Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, CUNY
New York, NY
Master of Arts: Broadcast Journalism
Queens College, CUNY
Bachelor of Fine Arts: Fine Arts & Theater Dance
Related course work
- New York Times Student Journalism Institute, Jan. 2009
- International Center for Journalists Workshop, Jun. 2009
- Foundry Photojournalism Workshop, Jul. 2008
University of Tampa
Aug. 2014- Dec. 2015
Adjunct Professor, Communications Department
- Taught Digital Arts for Professional Communication and Visual Literacy courses to undergraduate communication majors. Assignments included portfolio, branding, multimedia storytelling, and communication theories related to rhetoric and semiotics.
International Center of Photography (ICP)
Oct. 2002- Aug. 2012 | New York, NY
Faculty and Digital Media Associate
- Taught continuing education courses, worked with community outreach programs, and supported full-time students as part of the ICP’s education staff and faculty. ICP is an internationally recognized organization that promotes humanistic photography and storytelling.
- Instructor for Digital Photography I & II and Video Interview Techniques, assignments included first portfolio, camera and lighting methods, multimedia storytelling, and photo theories related to rhetoric, representation, and semiotics.
- Provided one-on-one tutoring for full-time students in scanning, printing, and portfolio presentation.
- Installed, maintained, and upgraded photographic digital workstations for classrooms.
University of South Florida (USF)
Oct 2016 - Present | Tampa, FL
Multimedia News Manager
- Advances USF’s brand, mission, and goals through coordinated communications to include executive and internal communications, media relations, web content, and social media.
- Produces time-sensitive multimedia content and news releases to share with mainstream media outlets.
- Develops and drives strategic communication initiatives to elevate the fast-growing national reputation – targeting talented faculty, students, peer institutions, and community partners across.
- Develops and ensures adherence to clear communications metrics and goals, aligned to the university’s mission using multimedia storytelling.
- Provides messaging support across the organization for the Office of the President, including COVID-19 communications, university system consolidation campaign, and internal culture messaging.
- Provides communications counsel to key communication partners and collaboratively develops strategies to advance the university’s mission.
- Develops new communication tools and trains university partners on new media platforms to engage larger audiences, such as podcasts, social media, and conference presentations.
- Fully produces written and video narratives to promote research, community partnerships, and institutional initiatives.
- Mediates university projects with outside producers to ensure consistent use of the university’s brand.
- Founding member of the university’s only dedicated news team, which focuses on strategic storytelling.
- Fully develops and maintains digital workflows leading to the university’s first digital asset management system.
- Established the university’s first team of multimedia journalists.
USF Health Communications Department
Mar 2015 - Oct 2016 | Tampa, FL
- Developed content strategy to build audiences around executive strategic initiatives.
- Researched and wrote news articles about a wide range of health disciplines that demonstrated USF Health’s strategic goals as a leading academic medical institution.
- Planned, shot, and edited videos for the academic and clinical practice plan website and institutional social media channels.
- Identified opportunities to promote the institution’s academic excellence, interdisciplinary research, and medical practitioners to audiences.
- Developed brand assets and established guidelines for other health college communicators.
- Built relationships and consulted with clients during pre-and postproduction.
Reading the Pictures
Mar 2010 – Mar 2018 | Remote work
- Produced short audio slideshows with photojournalists. My work won a Picture of the Year International (POYi) Award of Excellence in the Multimedia Issues Reporting category in 2011. The audio slideshow, Mike Kamber: Military Censorship of the Iraq War, has been viewed widely and included in many exhibitions on the history of the war.
- Fully produced live online discussions dedicated to understanding how current events and social issues are framed by visual media.
- Promoted webinars through all digital platforms, including main web pages and social media.
- Trained and supported presenters using remote technologies to ensure successful webinars.
- Researched and implemented digital platforms and workflows for live broadcasts
- Edited short highlights clips of the live webinars to share with partners and on social media
Jun. 2010- Sept. 2015 | Remote work and international travel
New Media and Communications
- Played multiple key roles with the company as we sold the concert, built a touring schedule, traveled to various international cities, and returned to dispersed home locations.
- Media Relations: Internationally represented the company and artists in all media-related communications.
- Photographer/ Videographer of performances, including backstage and first looks to share with media.
- Design: Webmaster and designer for the company and tour websites.
- Digital Promotion: Created and maintained social media accounts.
- Administrative: Wrote and circulated annual company reports; Assisted with artist travel, payroll, and health care.
- Production Manager: Supervised all logistics related to freight, international travel, stage rehearsals, schedules, costumes, and merchandise sales.
Radio Jackie News
Nov. 2011- May 2012 | London, U.K
- Produced three-minute news bulletins and pre-recorded audio for news segments in a commercial radio station.
- Wrote and edited stories for the top-of-the-hour news broadcasts to include local, national and international stories.
- Field producer for morning feature segments
The New York Times
Jan. 2009- Dec. 2009 | New York, NY
- Completed a year-long fellowship with the online video department.
- Assisted in all aspects of video production: camera, research, writing, and editing.
- Used ENPS to produce stories, structure, and identify videos needed for news stories.
- Produced segments for “Video Vows” segments featured in the Sunday Style section.
- Wrote multimedia blog posts about prominent photojournalists for the “LENS Blog” section.
2004- 2014 | Travel
- Photographer: Reportage, spot news, events, editorial, and portraits
- Documentary: Producer of short documentary videos
- Blogger: Writer, producer, and editor for various clients
- Field Assistant/ Videographer/ Translator: National Geographic magazine, Western Sahara, 2006
- Workshop Instructor: Indigenous Media Project, Colombia, 2005-2007
Skills and Software
Proficient in all aspects of content production, including research, reporting, writing, editing, photography, video production (analog and digital), and social media; Adobe’s Creative Suite (Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom); Knowledgeable in Web-specific technology (i.e., live stream, social media, digital media), Experienced in several content management systems; FAA-UAS, Part 107 Certified, PADI Open Water Certified
Awards & Honors
- Pictures of the Year International: Multimedia Issue Reporting Story, 2011
- Project Report, Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting: Short video, 2008
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists: Broadcaster, 2008
- National Public Radio: Featured Photojournalist, 2008
- Peer mentor for incoming graduate students, 2021-present
- Peer reviewer, National Communication Association, Visual Communication Division, conference presentation paper, 2022
- Social media coordinator, Graduate Communication Association (GCA), University of South Florida (USF), 2021-present
- Served on the executive board for constitutional amendments, GCA, USF, 2022
- Member, Graduate Student Council (GSC), Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, 2009-2010
Internally Displaced Mother – Holguín, Cuba, 2012 – Group Show
Family Reunion – Traveling Exhibit, 2012 – Group Show
Prolonged Refuge - Chelsea Art Auction, NYC - Group Show
Street Photography – Frontline Club, London 2010 - Group Show
From Home – Mexico City, 2008 – Group Show
Day Laborers – NYU, 2006 – Solo Exhibit - Photography
Queens International Queens Museum of Art, NYC 2006 – Group Show
Il Sounni della Vitta” – Castigllioni de Asti, Italy 2005 – Group Show
Self Portraits – ICP Education Gallery, NYC 2004 – Staff Show
Urban Skin – International Center of Photography, NYC 2004 – Group Show
Everyday & Underground Beats – Local Project, NYC 2003 – Group Show
The Beach – Photo District Gallery, 2003
Underground Beats Positive Focus/ Galapagos, NYC 2003 – Group Show
The City I See – Queens, NYC 2003 – Solo Show
Around the Way – Lickwed Bar and Lounge, NYC 2003 – Group Show
Torn Up Building & From My Window – Queens College Student Gallery, 2000- Senior Show
City Blues – GenArt, NYC 1998 - Group Show